Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Day

At work, I don't spend a lot of time on the register, but some weeks, I have one, maybe two shifts as just a plain jane cashier. Today was one of those days, but I got to spend it on express, so that made it a little better. Now, typically, we get the really pain-in-the-butt customers at customer service, but somehow I manage to get some serious doozies when I am on the register, and I had one today. This lady came through my line and handed me her keys so that I could scan her Kroger card. She then proceeded to finish unloading her groceries, so I placed her keys on the little counter where customers can write their checks. I got done scanning everything, and was double-bagging her groceries like she had asked me to when she and I have an exchange that went like this:

Customer: (points at keys) Can I have those back?
Me: Yes, ma'am. I put those there for you; I already scanned your card.
Customer: I know, but I handed those to you and you placed them there.
Me: Yes, ma'am, I scanned your card and you were unloading your groceries so I placed them there because your hands were busy.
Customer: Well, I handed those to you and you need to place them in my hands. (Holds out hand)
Me: Are you serious? (yes, I really said that)
Customer: Yes, I am
Me: (picks up keys and places them in her rudely waiting hand) Power struggle.

Yes, that interaction actually took place. I was so angry when I was counting the money back to her man-friend, my hands were shaking. I turned my register light off and went to the bathroom to cool off and then went to tell one of my managers what had happened. She told me about how she had had the same kind of encounter and how she decided that this move could potentially cost her her job and so she, too, placed the keys in the lady's hand. Honestly, I wish I hadn't done it. Job or no job. Retailers have spoiled people into thinking they can speak to associates at different stores any way they want and we just have to take it. The next time someone comes through my line and tries to pull that will have a hard time leaving if the only way they plan on getting their keys in hand is if I hand them to them.

I got over that, even though sitting here, rehashing it, makes me a little angry all over again. Next, we have this man who used to be the back-up front-end manager. That is no longer the case and he now works in the dairy department. However, he frequently comes up to the front and tries to run the front-end with his "expert" advice. I had already asked the person at customer service if I could take my break, and she said that was fine. I then asked this dairy clerk to please close me off to which he replied "who's replacing you?" I told him no one and he proceeded to tell me that the MOD wasn't going to let me go on break without someone to replace me because we have to have an express open. I told him that wasn't my problem- I wasn't the floor supervisor for the day, and he told me it was. Trust me when I say it wasn't. As just the cashier, they have to give me a break and it is not my responsibility to find a replacement for said break. Highly annoyed, I call the MOD over to tell him that said dairy clerk isn't doing anything helpful other than lending his unsolicited "expertise" and needs to go back to his department. He tells the clerk to go get the truck in the back, but then the MOD comes to me and says it wasn't a big deal and that I shouldn't be so upset about it. What? I wasn't upset; not the way the MOD thought I was. I was simply annoyed. That dairy clerk has no business coming up to our department acting like he runs it. We don't tell him how to stock eggs and milk, he need not tell me I can't go on break. He has no authority over any of us, and unless we ask him, which we won't, he needs to keep his "expertise" to himself. There is a reason he is no longer over the front end so it's high time he go on with his bad self. HMPH!!!

Whew!!! Fortunately, along with the bad customers we do have some good ones. I had a very sweet old lady, who shops at our store frequently, come through my line, and after asking me if the girls at Starbucks made good drinks, I sent her over there to ask for Amy. Well, she did and scared Amy because she thought little old lady was about to cuss her out when she walked up and called her out. No worries, all the lady wanted was a decent Starbucks beverage, which cannot be gotten with just anybody who works over there. So, there was my day. It had some very bad moments, but there were some ok moments too. I really do love most of the people I work with. A handful of them are crazy and they, in turn, make me crazy, but, thankfully, the sane ones help to keep me sane by listening to my rants and letting me get things off my chest. So, Dear Lord, thank you for my job and the good people with whom I work. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment