Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Credit Card Debt....

It's amazing how quickly it sucks you in. You think you have a handle on it, but it gets away from you every time. It just grows and grows until before you know it, it's grown bigger than you can keep up with. Then what? You can't afford the payments, you can't afford to be without it, you ultimately can't afford to pay it back. How do you deal? Well, if you're me, you ignore it hoping it will eventually go away and take care of itself. What can I say? Ignorance is bliss!! However, it has finally caught up with me. The time has come to face the music, and thank goodness, I can do that now. By the end of this year, one of my two big credit cards will be paid off and next year the other will be no more as well. It's a good feeling knowing that my credit will drastically improve, I will not have to worry about garnished wages, and this will not shadow me much longer. It's a good feeling. Then all I will have to worry about is paying off my car and my student loan debt. All manageable. I hope. Here is my advice:

NEVER GET A CREDIT CARD!!!!
and if you do, have it for emergencies only, and don't carry with you so that you cannot whip it out on a whim. Keep it in your undies drawer at home or in a safety deposit box. Make it hard to get to so that the only time it is worth getting it is if you really, truly need it. A TV is not really, truly needed and by the time you get it out, you will have time to let the whim pass. Be smart!

There, there's my soapbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment