Friday, March 18, 2011

I was trying to wait for my midterm.... Blog 7

I was trying to hold off until I got my midterm exam back, but that would mean this blog would be really late. So, I am going to write about my midterm and how I feel it compared to those we looked over in class, as well as what I learned from the essays we looked at in class and how I am preparing for the final exam.


My paper earned a D, which I thought was somewhat surprising. I didn’t expect an A, or even a B, but I was hoping for a low C. Without looking at my exam and being able to analyze it after the fact, it’s hard to decide if I believe I truly earned that D, or if I still feel like I did better. In looking over the essays in class, I didn’t necessarily feel like any of those essays were bad, but they were simple. It appeared to me that they just basically explained the cultures and their concepts. There wasn’t a lot of tying those cultures and concepts into the themes, and in some of the essays, a clear thesis was not stated. For my essay, I feel like I had a clearly stated thesis and tied the concepts in with the theme and my thesis. Now, for me, it was easier to do this with the literature. It was very simple to pull examples from the literature and attach them to the theme I had chosen, and apply the concepts to those examples. The art and music were a little bit harder. Honestly, I was really struggling to apply my theme and the concepts to those two aspects of the cultures. For this reason, I knew my grade would not be exceptional, but I still didn’t expect a D.

Looking over the essays of my peers was very helpful. It really helped me get a better grasp on what was expected of me for the final essay exam. In preparation for the final, I feel like I am better able to prepare myself mentally for the exam because I have a better understanding of what the professors are looking for and what is being asked of me. I have gotten my notebook organized and looking over the concepts before the readings, I am better able to pull out those concepts and tie them into the readings as opposed to trying to make the concepts fit into the readings. This will prove very beneficial to me for the final because I won’t have to work so hard to make things fit. Instead, I actually see why and how they fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment